This month’s baking entry and story have a special twist!
The recipe I’ve included comes from Suzanne Kletch, whom I met on a hiking trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon in April. While the group consisted of mostly Bedford friends, four other hiking women joined us for our adventure. One of them was Suzanne, from Milwaukee Wisconsin. We discovered a mutual love of spending time both outdoors and in the kitchen baking, thus creating an instant bond.
Much of our “trail talk” focused on our favorite recipes and sweet treats we enjoy. Suzanne’s enthusiasm for life and having fun was infectious. Of course, the fact that she has a “sweet tooth” qualifies for a good friendship.
I spoke with Suzanne about my baking column in our local online newspaper. She was intrigued and asked for the website link. And so, the idea of including one of her favorite recipes seemed like a perfect and unique plan for May.
Suzanne’s Potato Chip Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring (I prefer Madagascar vanilla)
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup finely crushed potato chips
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla thoroughly
- Stir in potato chips
- Blend in flour
- Roll dough in 1-inch balls
- Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet
- Flatten cookie balls with fork
- Decorate with your favorite color sprinkles (I used colored non-pareils)
- Bake 8-10 minutes
Makes 6 dozen