Kris Kringle Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are a favorite of mine for holiday baking.
They often appear on a platter of assorted cookies for a swap or dessert item.
The confectioner’s sugar dusted on top resembles “snow,” so they are perfect for winter.
The scent of chocolate while these cookies are baking provides a warmth and nostalgia to be back in my grandmother’s kitchen when she prepared these and taught me how to bake them. She always had cookie ingredients on hand in her pantry.
My first memory of these cookies comes from a time when I was 10 years old and quarantined with scarlet fever. My neighbor from across the street brought me a shoe box of these yummy cookies to “heal” my illness! I will always remember her kindness.
Included with my cookie photo is a holiday photo from my childhood. I was wearing my favorite Christmas pajamas while baking cookies!
Kris Kringle Chocolate Crinkles Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate (4 oz.) melted
- Blend in 4 eggs; one at a time until well mixed
- 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Chill dough several hours or overnight
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll dough into small balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar
- Place two inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Do not overbake.