Submitted by the Bedford Historical Society
The town’s only Italianate municipal building, Old Town Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1856, at various times it housed town offices, schoolrooms, a jail, the town library, Town Meeting and a wide variety of social and civic events. A sweeping spiral staircase graces the lobby.
After renovating the building in 2004, Bedford won an Adaptive Reuse award from the Massachusetts Historical Commission.
This photo is brought to you courtesy of the Bedford Historical Society. The Society was founded in 1893 and exists today to preserve Bedford’s history. Learn more about the Society at its web page, www.bedfordmahistory.org or on its Facebook page. Visit the Historical Society in its archives in the Bedford Police Station. Contact the Society by email at [email protected] or call 781-275-7276 for hours or directions.
Editor’s Note: The top floor of Old Town Hall is available for event rentals; the second floor houses the offices and studios of Bedford TV; and the ground floor is home to Bedford Center for the Arts.