Fall into one of the best flavors and scents of the season – CINNAMON!
Cinnamon is one of the most widely used spices worldwide. A kitchen filled with cinnamon scent is the essence of fall. It’s time to “hunker down” and get baking.
These mouth-watering, aromatic cinnamon treats are one of my favorites for breakfast, or as an accompaniment to a mug of steaming mulled cider, or just before bed with a glass of cold milk.
My mother-in-law would prepare these from leftover pie crusts at holiday time.
This traditional recipe has been prepared repeatedly from the time our boys were young. However, since my family and I enjoy them so much, I simply make them using an entire crust.
They can be frozen, but are best right out of the oven.
Cinnamon Swirl Roll Minis
Prepare 1 pie crust
(Pie crust can be a pre-made, store-bought version, or follow the recipe below:)
Pie crust recipe:
- Place 1 stick of butter in bowl
- Add ¼ cup boiling water to soften butter
- Mix in 1 ½ cups flour
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Form dough in large ball and place on floured surface
- Roll out dough thinly (approx. 1/8 inch thick)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter
- Spread evenly over rolled out pie crust dough
- Mix together ½ cup sugar with 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pour this mixture over the butter layer
- Roll the dough long end first until you have log shape
- Use sharp knife to slice 1-inch rolls (you will see the cinnamon swirl pattern)
- Place swirl side up on parchment layered cookie sheet
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until top of roll is slightly browned.