It’s strawberry season! For a different and delicious strawberry treat, try baking these scones.
While my childhood strawberry dessert memories tend to lean towards strawberry shortcake and strawberry rhubarb pie, my love of scones prompted me to bake them using strawberries.
The baked scones shown in the photo are featured on a painted plate handmade and gifted to me by my daughter-in-law, Nikki. Turns out, she is a strawberry aficionado herself!
Strawberry Scones Recipe
- Set oven to 400 degrees
- In large bowl, stir together:
2 ½ cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
- Cut in ½ cup cubed butter until it resembles pea-sized coarse crumbs
Gently toss in 1 cup chopped strawberries
- In a second bowl, add 2 beaten eggs and ½ cup heavy cream
Add egg and cream mixture to flour mixture and gently stir together
- Place dough on floured parchment paper
- Pat dough into rounded circle, ¾ inch thick
- Cut into 8 wedges and pull slightly apart
- Brush wedges with 1 tablespoon milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar
- Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 15 minutes or until golden brown. (If your oven has a tendency to run hot, bake at 375 degrees.
- Glaze (optional)
- Stir together 2/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk or until you get desired consistency
- Drizzle over scones when they come out of the oven