The chair of the Bedford School Committee has appointed a 16-member screening committee that will review application materials and assist with interviews of candidates for superintendent of schools.
“We have selected a group for the committee comprising people with a variety of perspectives and backgrounds,” said Brad Morrison in announcing the lineup Thursday afternoon. “We believe the group together has the proper composition to seek and find the best candidate for Bedford.”
The screening committee “will begin its work early in the new year,” Morrison wrote. The process will culminate with a recommendation of finalists, who will be publicly interviewed by the School Committee.
Ultimately the School Committee will select someone to succeed Philip Conrad, who will retire at the end of the fiscal year.
Screening committee members are:
- School Committee members: Sarah Scoville and Morrison.
- Teachers: Jill Butler, Bedford High School; Pat Flaherty-Dawson, Davis School; Jim Sunderland, BHS.
- School administrators: Michelle DellaValle, special education program administrator; Heather Galante, BHS principal; Akil Mondesir, METCO director and diversity, equity, and inclusion coordinator; Marianne Vines, director of special education.
- Student: Shreyes Shivappa, BHS sophomore.
- Parents: Erica Colbath, chair of the Special Education Parents Advisory Council; Dawn Kociubes; Angel Pettitt; Sarita Pillai; the Rev. Chris Wendell.
- Parents of alumni: C. Allison John.
Some of the categories overlap. For example, Galante, Mondesir. Morrison, Scoville, and Wendell are also parents of students in the schools.
Butler, John, Mondesir, Sunderland, and Vines served on the moist recent superintendent search committee three years ago.