Submitted by the Bedford Council on Aging
While we may have missed posting activities for the first few days in June, there’s still a LOT going on at the CoA this month:
Tuesday June 10 at 10:30 AM
Banking for Life
Representatives from our local Citizens Bank branch will be here at the Bedford Council on Aging on Tuesday June 10 at 10:30 AM to educate you on topics such as: account options, knowing your credit score, as well as other services that are available to you.
Wednesday June 11 at 10:00 AM
Alternative Care: When You or Your Loved One Becomes Seriously Ill
When someone is facing a life-limiting illness, how one experiences their journey, and receives the compassionate, expert care needed, is foremost in their mind. Janice Benoit, RN from Compassionate Care Hospice will be talking about some of the choices available to you if you or your loved one becomes seriously ill. Please join us at the Bedford Council on Aging on Wednesday June 11 at 10:00 AM.
Thursday June 12 at 11:00 AM
Eat for Your Health
You may have heard the saying, “you are what you eat”. Everything you eat becomes a part of you. What you put into your mouth greatly impacts your health. We have to eat every day, so why not plan and select healthy options? Certain foods have certain health benefits. It is important to know them so that we can incorporate them into our meals. Eating healthy can be easy and tasty! Join Community Health Nurse Joyce Cheng, RN on June 12 at 11 AM at the Bedford Council on Aging. Joyce will provide helpful meal planning information and suggestions, and shopping tips for healthy and affordable foods.
Monday June 16 at 10:30 AM
Choosing Your Retirement Path
Join us at the Bedford Council on Aging fora seminar, presented by Michael Franco, that covers topics concerning financial matters pertaining to older adults, such as:
• Solutions to Help Maximize Retirement Income
• Preventing Assets From Depleting
• Various Investments Options
• The New Retirement Landscape
Tuesday June 17 at 11:00 AM
Literary Families of Concord
Phebe Ham, native of Concord will be giving a walking tour with focus on Concord’s literary families in the 1840’s – the Emersons, Thoreaus, Alcotts, and Hawthornes. All friends and neighbors. We will meet at the parking lot of the Old North Bridge in Concord at 11 AM on Tuesday June 17 (rain date Wednesday June 18). There is no charge but please sign up by calling the Bedford Council on Aging at 781- 275-6825.
Wednesday June 18 at 1:00 PM
Encore Presentation: National Parks of the Southwest
Join Carol and Ron Reynolds at the Bedford Council on Aging on Wednesday June 18 at 1:00 PM as they travel through northern Arizona and Utah. The journey begins at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon followed by a float trip on the Colorado River. Then it’s on to the national parks of Utah: Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion.
Thursday June 19 at 11:30 AM
You are Invited to a Picnic Lunch!
In honor of summer, BrightView Concord River will be sponsoring a picnic lunch at the Bedford Council on Aging on Thursday June 19 at 11:30 AM. Please RSVP by Monday June 16 by calling (781) 275-6825.
Monday June 23 at 9:00 AM
Breakfast & BINGO
Come to the Bedford Council on aging to play for a chance to win a gift card to one of your favorite local stores! Grand prize winner will take a home a special gift! Breakfast and prizes will be provided by Brightview Concord River. Please RSVP by calling (781) 275-6825.
Wednesday June 25 at 10:00 AM-Noon
Back Yard Olympics
Come join the fun as we head outside for a day of all your favorite back yard games! No athletic talent is required to participate – just a desire to have fun! All are welcome! Bring your friends and family! Ice cream will be provided by Griswold Home Care. Please call the Bedford Council on Aging to register (781) 275-6825.
Wednesday June 25 at 7:00 PM
Heart Disease: Everyday Actions for Prevention and Management
It is never too late to start taking care of your heart. Heart disease is one of the most common problems in the United States and it affects more than 83.6 million Americans. There are many things you can do in your everyday life to prevent heart disease from developing, or progressing further if you are already diagnosed with it. Danielle Beck, MSN, RN, NP is a nurse practitioner in Bedford who specializes in counseling and educating adults on wellness, nutrition, and disease prevention. She will lead a discussion Wednesday June 25 at 7 PM on the easy steps you can take to reduce and prevent heart disease. Danielle will discuss how common diseases such as high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, diabetes, and high cholesterol affect the heart. She will also provide tools you can use at home to help take care of your heart. Please call the Bedford Council on Aging at (781) 275-6825 to register.
Beginning Thursday June 26 at 9:30AM-Noon
Healthy Eating for Successful Living Free 6-Week Course
This program is for people who want to learn more about nutrition and how lifestyle changes can promote better health. The program is based on the USDA MyPlate recommendations. It stresses heart and bone health strategies that are important to preventing or managing most chronic health conditions. The program is delivered by trained leaders with the support of a nutritionist or registered dietician. Sessions, which are highly participatory, include an education component and hands-on activities. The class will meet once per week for 6 weeks beginning Thursday June 26 at the Bedford Council on Aging. There is no charge for this course which has been generously funded through a grant from the Tufts Health Plan Foundation. Space is limited so please register early by calling the COA at (781) 275-6825.
Thursday June 26 at 1:00 PM
Trail Walk – Wilson Mill
Join Alissa for our June trail walk at Wilson Mill! Come see what’s new at this on-going conservation project in Bedford. We’ll walk the trail to get some fresh air and exercise! This will be a ½ -1 mile walk with some uneven ground. Please wear appropriate footwear. We will meet at the end of Old Burlington Rd at the mill site parking area on Thursday June 26 at 1:00 PM. Please call the Bedford Council on Aging at (781) 275-6825 to register by June 25.
Friday June 27 at 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
NEW! Sit ‘n Stitch
This group is for everyone, novice to expert, who is looking to get together and share the wonderful world of knitting. Discuss current projects, swap yarn and patterns and of course do some knitting over a cup of coffee. All are welcome – crochet and beads too! This is a casual, social group! All you need to do is show up! The group will be meeting on Fridays from 10:00 to 2:00 at the Bedford Council on Aging beginning (officially) on June 27th. So dig out that project you’ve been meaning to finish and join us!
Friday June 27 at 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
Senior Olympics Pool Tournament
Bedford has been chosen to host the Senior Olympics Pool Tournament once again! All are welcome to watch and you may even compete if you wish! The tournament will be held here on Friday June 27 from 9 AM to 4 PM and continues on Saturday June 28 from 8 AM ‘til a winner is announced. Lunch will be served and a good time will be had by all. If you wish to compete, please sign up at the COA by June 16. The cost to compete is $10 and there is no cost for spectators.
Council on Aging Trips
- Mohegan Sun & Lobster Boil – Thursday July 24 ($75) Escape to Mohegan Sun Casino, the magical place of 150,000 square feet of non-stop excitement! Try your luck at your choice of nearly 3,000 state-of-the-art slot machines or one of 170 table games! Not a gambler? Explore the many shops or visit the Day Spa! Then we are off to George’s of Galilee for a traditional lobster boil! Enjoy RI clam chowder and clam cakes, garden salad and your choice of steamed 1.25 lb lobster or 12oz char-grilled rib eye! Both served with potato, corn, beverage and watermelon for dessert! This trip includes 5 hours at the Casino, $15 food voucher, $15 free bet, and the lobster boil. Your deluxe motorcoach will depart at 7:15 AM and will return at about 7:00 PM. Sign up begins May 1. Full payment and meal choice due upon reservation. Bedford Council on Aging, (781) 275-6825.
- Concord River Summer Lunch Cruise – Thursday August 14 ($28) Enjoy a unique dining experience aboard a pontoon boat while viewing the homes of the 1800’s and nature at its best. Watch for turtles, blue herons, geese, ducks and other wildlife along the river banks. Cruise to Fairhaven Bay, where Thoreau and Hawthorne spent time composing their renowned writings. See the Old North Bridge where the shot heard around the world was fired. Lunch includes a side salad, fruit, dessert and your choice of sandwich: chicken salad, tuna, sliced turkey, ham and cheese, or vegetarian. Served with iced tea or lemonade. Full payment is due upon sign up. **Please meet at 12:30 at the South Bridge Boat House in Concord (496 Main St.) The cruise leaves at 1:00 PM and will return at about 2:15. Space is limited to 20 so reserve your spot today! Bedford Council on Aging, (781) 275-6825.
- Isles of Shoals, Lighthouses, and Harbor Cruise – Wednesday August 13 ($89) Join us aboard the M/V Thomas Leighton and experience the fascinating legends of our New Hampshire and Maine seacoast. As you glide through Portsmouth Harbor you will see the nation’s oldest and active naval yard, “Alcatraz of the East”, a famous grand resort hotel, 3 lighthouses, and much more! Enjoy an UnCommon meal at the Common Man – your choice of Apple Walnut Chicken, Yankee Pot Roast, or Baked Haddock. The bus will depart at 9 AM and will return at about 6:30 PM. The cost of this trip is $89, which is due in full at time of sign up along with your meal choice. Bedford Council on Aging, (781) 275-6825.