After the forums, several residents co-authored a petition in support of diversity, inclusion, and acceptance in our community: Bea Brunkhorst, Board of Health member; Shawn Hanegan, Planning Board member; Sheila Mehta-Green, candidate for School Committee; Emily Mitchell, Select Board member; and Brad Morrison, School Committee member.
As of Wednesday, March 9, more than 300 residents signed the petition, including ALL of the candidates running for office in Saturday’s Town Election.
- Town Moderator: Mark Siegenthaler
- Select Board: Dan Carroll, Shawn Hanegan, Emily Mitchell (Incumbent), Ron O’Brien
- Planning Board: Todd Crowley, Amy Lloyd (Incumbent)
- School Committee: Eleanor Gorsey, Kelly Horton, Sheila Mehta-Green, Brad Morrison (Incumbent)
- Board of Health: Bea Brunkhorst (Incumbent), Alison O’Connell
- Library Trustees: Padma Choudry, Elizabeth Hacala, Abby Hafer
- Assessor: Nancy Wolk
- Shawsheen Regional Technical High School Committee: Nancy Asbedian
The petition reads:
We, the undersigned, representing elected officials, candidates for elected office, and current residents of Bedford, Massachusetts, proudly support and celebrate Bedford residents of all gender identities, sexualities, faiths, races, and ethnicities, as loved and valuable members of our community. They are our children, our friends, our neighbors, our family members, and us. No one should be made to feel unwelcome or ashamed to be who they are in Bedford. It is integral to the mental health and well-being of LGBTQ+ youth that we create an inclusive community everywhere in town, especially in the schools. Our diversity strengthens us: we all belong here.
To join the petition, click https://www.change.org/…/
One of the organizers invited community participation: “Let us continue together, to proudly support and celebrate Bedford residents of all gender identities, sexualities, faiths, races, and ethnicities, as loved and valuable members of our community. Let us turn our advocacy into action, together!”