Compiled by The Bedford Citizen
Bedford High School senior Jake Turner, the goalie for the Bedford Buccaneers MVC/DCL Division 3 ice hockey team, has been honored for his sportsmanship by the Boston Bruins and the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA).
BHS ice hockey coach Peter Dion says, ” On the first day of practice our starting goalie got injured and was going to be out for a significant part of the season. Jake took his new role as a challenge and worked hard in practice and in private lessons to help his teammates. Jake’s commitment to his team, his “never quit” attitude and his respect for the game has led me to recommend him for this award.”
For the fourteenth consecutive year, the MIAA and Boston Bruins have partnered to honor student-athletes from boys and girls high school ice hockey leagues across the state for best exemplifying a commitment to the ideals of sportsmanship throughout the season. This year young women from 14 schools were honored, along with young men from 22 schools. Click Bruins-MIAA Sportsmanship Award Recipient List 2016 to see the full list.
These student-athletes were selected by representatives of their league according to the following award criteria:
- An exemplary record of complying, both in spirit and letter, with all league and MIAA rules and regulations during the season.
- A demonstrated record of respectfully accepting the rulings of game officials.
- A record of conduct, on and off the ice that brings honor to self, team, school, and community.
- A commitment to teamwork by providing all members with recognition of their talents, an opportunity to contribute them to the team, and a spirit of camaraderie.
- A demonstrated respect for opponents before, during, and after games.
The student-athletes were honored on Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at the TD Garden during an intermission of the Boston Bruins game against the Carolina Hurricanes.