Submitted byCarl Gagnon, the DPW’s new Highway Operations Manager
The Town of Bedford Public Works Department is pleased to issue the following guide to winter snow removal operations. This information is meant to inform Bedford residents of the snow plowing and sidewalk clearing procedures and to ask for your assistance so that the town roads can be restored for safe travel as quickly as possible following a winter storm.
Snow plowing is a time consuming and laborious job. Your cooperation is essential and we thank you for your patience.
Snow Plowing Operations
When a snowstorm is forecast, the DPW typically responds by pretreating the main roads and hills with a salt brine solution to help prevent snow from bonding to pavement.
Once snowfall starts, plowing operations begin when 2-3 inches of snow has accumulated. 45 pieces of equipment preform snow plowing operations. This is a combination of DPW equipment as well as hired contractors. The main objective during the storm is to keep the roads passible for emergency response vehicles.
As the storm winds down trucks begin final cleanup which includes widening roadways and pushing back the intersections. To accomplish this, plows will make multiple passes on both sides of the road. This is also when sidewalk clearing begins. Our first priority is to clear the sidewalks around school areas and along Great Road.
How you can help
- Please avoid parking in roadways. Observe all parking regulations. There is no on-street parking in the Town of Bedford between 1:00am and 6:00am.
- Remain off the road during snowstorms unless absolutely necessary.
- Do not allow children to make snow forts at the edge of roadway.
- Do not plow, blow or throw snow back into the roadway (per Town Bylaw 46.10).
- Before the final cleanup of your driveway, check the road. If it does not appear to be widened out, a plow will probably return. Doing this might keep you from clearing the end of your driveway multiple times.
- If possible deposit snow from your driveway on the downstream side so that the plow carries it away from your driveway. This will help to minimize the amount of snow that ends up in your driveway.
- Please help by clearing the sidewalks in front of your property and any nearby fire hydrants to keep them accessible.
Winter Sand Mix is Available Only to Residents
Please note that winter sand mix will be available for residents (no contractors) by the gate at the entrance to Springs Brook Park, 161 Springs Road.
The Public Works Department is devoted to providing the residents of Bedford with dependable snow removal service in the shortest possible time. Your cooperation will benefit all of us during the winter season.
For more information about winter operations, please visit our website at www.bedfordma.gov
Editor’s Note: This flyer was distributed to every house, but flyers can get lost and you’ll always be able to find this one online!