The future is now for members of the Bedford High School swim and dive teams.
So far eight swimmers and diver Taelor Nichols have qualified for sectional – and in some cases, states – post-season competition by exceeding thresholds in their regular-season performances. Seven of those student-athletes are freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.
The teams move into midseason mode with competition scheduled at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School on Tuesday evening and Boston Latin School (boys only) on Thursday at Shawsheen Valley Technical High School in Billerica.
Qualifiers prior to this week’s contests are:
- Senior Capt. Elora Syed, who has qualified in the 50 freestyle and 100 breaststroke
- Nichols, a freshman, who has qualified for sectionals and states for her diving scores
- Matsen Spirn, a junior, who has qualified for sectionals and states in both the 200 individual medley and the 100 breaststroke
- Senior Capt. Sally MacPhee, Syed, junior Millie Bonneau, and freshman Emma Lacchia, who will attend sectionals in the medley relay
- Spirn, freshman Boden Spirn, junior Ben Sedran, and sophomore Aniq Syed, who qualified for the sectionals in the medley relay.
A highlight of last week’s dual meet against Acton-Boxborough was a sweep by Bedford in the boys’ 100-meter butterfly: Boden Spirn placed first with a time of 59.47 seconds (less than one second from the sectionals qualifying threshold), Aniq Syed was second in a time of 1:02.06 and Sedran was less than a half-second behind to take third place.
A-B outscored the Buccaneers overall, 95-77.