By: Liz Antanavica Refuse & Recycling Administrator
Public Works hosted the first of two Fall Special Recycling events on Oct 1 at the Compost Site. More than 300 residents ventured out on a gray Saturday to recycle unwanted styrofoam blocks and latex paint plus, have their confidential paper shredded on site.
In all, Bedford residents recycled:
- 4.5 tons of confidential papers
- 20 very large bags of styrofoam
- 6 pallets of unwanted latex paint
The DPW has received several questions about what residents can do if they missed these events. Based on very positive feedback, these special collection categories will return again, likely in the Fall of 2023. (The next paper shredding event is scheduled for May 6, 2023) In the meantime, residents can utilize the following options:
- Conigliaro Industries, the Town’s styrofoam recycling vendor, accepts EPS #6 from the public at their facility in Framingham. Minimum pricing is $10. (Solid white packaging bracing only – it must snap when you bend it. No packing peanuts, coffee cups, meat trays, meal kit insulation or other expanded foam products.) https://
- RECOLOR Paints is located in Hanover, MA, and accepts unwanted latex paint from the public for a fee. Residents might also consider supporting this closed-loop recycling stream for their next paint project! RECOLOR offers their recycled paint products online and in Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations. https://
Don’t miss the next event! Saturday, Oct 15, 2022 (9 AM-1 PM) stop by the Compost & Recycling Center to recycle unwanted electronics and small appliances, propane tanks, and fire extinguishers as well as passenger car or truck tires (sorry, no bicycle tires). This is a free event for Bedford residents. For more details and FAQ document, please visit https://www.bedfordma.
Scenes from October 1 Event