Middlesex Community College’s program for adults (55+) will begin its 2019 season with a program about immigration, the story of José I. Ramirez.
José I. Ramirez came to the U.S. at the age of fifteen from Aquacade, Cuba as one of the early arrivals of what is known today as Operation Pedro Pan, on January 21, 1961. He moved from Miami to the Jacksonville Florida area on February 8, 1961, to live at Camp St. John, (a Cuban boys’ refugee camp) and ultimately graduated from Bishop Kenny High School of that city. Later, he received his Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Merrimack College in North Andover, Massachusetts and a Master’s Degree with a focus on Organizational Policy and was also a graduate of the Executive Management Program, both at Boston University.
M.I.L.E.S is an active program for mature adults ages 55+. Our instructors are from MCC and the surrounding community. Class subjects include personal enrichment, academic arts, and cultural enrichment. Questions? Call Lauren Ellis at 781-280-3669 or email [email protected] or visit: www.middlesex.mass.edu/MILES
The 2019 season offers classes almost every afternoon, through late November.
FILM SERIES: FILMS FROM ISRAEL ~ October 21 to November 25
Presenter: Stan Hitron, retired MCC faculty
QUICK, EASY, AND DELICIOUS! ~ October 15
Presenter: Stacy Kirby, Demo Chef with Courtesy Demos & M.I.L.E.S. member
MASSACHUSETTS SIERRA CLUB ~ October 22
Presenters: Deb Pasternak, Chapter Director Mass. Sierra Club, and Jacob Stern, Clean Energy Organizer Massachusetts Sierra Club
LEFT, RIGHT/RIGHT, WRONG ~ October 29
Presenter: Patrick Cook, MCC Executive Director of Public Affairs
GREENWASHING FROM SAFE COSMETICS ~ November 5
Presenter: Shirley Smith, Pure Haven Essentials
DANCE WELLNESS ~ November 12
Presenter: Susanne Liebich, Wellness Liaison Emerson Wellness Center
POLYPHARMACY FOR OLDER ADULTS ~ October 16
Presenter: Mary Durante, Marketing & Communications Manager of Element
DOWNSIZING FOR THE CHRONICALLY DISORGANIZED ~ October 23
Presenter: Karen Kenney, Organization Works
CONVERSATIONS: MY TWO CENTS – WHERE HAVE ALL THE MANNERS GONE, LONG TIME AGO ~ October 30
Presenter: Elizabeth Valente, M.I.L.E.S. member
SINGING THE PAST TO LIFE November 6
Presenter: Diane Taraz, Program Creator and Leader
WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT INDIAN CULTURE? ~ November 13
Presenter: Neetu Bhardwaj, MCC Staff Community Education & Training Department
A TASTE OF HERBALISM ~ November 20
Presenter: Nina Katz, Herbalist Instructor
THE ART OF STORYTELLING ~ October 17
Presenter: Salvatore Lopes, Retired Social Studies Teacher
NORTHERN BORDER NATIONAL PARKS ~ October 24
Presenter: Ronald Reynolds, M.I.L.E.S. member
MCC STUDENT ID & INTRO TO THE LIBRARY ~ October 31
Presenters: MCC Fitness Center Staff & Tracy Joyce, MCC Bedford Library Coordinator
TAKING CARE OF FAMILY TREASURE ~ November 7
Presenter: Kathleen Fahey, Executive Director, Friends of Minute Man National Park
CLIMATE CHANGE AND THE CLEAN ENERGY TRANSITION ~ November 14
Presenter: Robert Kaulfuss, MCC Economics Professor & Credit for Prior Learning Coordinator
EISENHOWER’S WARNINGS: THE CROSS OF IRON AND THE MILITARY- INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX ~ November 21
Presenter: Attorney Terry Downes, Director, MCC Program on Homeland Security, and the MCC Law Center
The Many Benefits of M.I.L.E.S. Membership
- DISCOUNTED TICKETS TO THE MERRIMACK REPERTORY THEATRE: M.I.L.E.S. members can obtain discounted tickets at the Merrimack Repertory Theatre. When purchasing tickets, use our special code: M.I.L.E.S. and the discount will be applied. To view the show schedule, visit mrt.org.
- I.L.E.S. MOVIE CLUB: M.I.L.E.S. has a Movie Club lead by member Elizabeth Valente. The club meets when the M.I.L.E.S. classes are not in session. It’s a great way to stay in touch with the friends you have made when M.I.L.E.S. is in session! After the movie, members get together at a local coffee shop for discussion. To sign up, email Lauren Ellis, [email protected] or call 781-280-3669.
- MCC STUDENT ID: M.I.L.E.S. members can obtain an MCC Student ID from the MCC Fitness Center on the Bedford Campus. All you need is your Student ID #, which you can obtain from the Community Education & Training department by calling 781-280-3663 or 781-280-3669.
- STAY FIT AT MCC: M.I.L.E.S. members have free access to the MCC Fitness Center on the Bedford Campus. All you need is your student ID card.
- MCC LIBRARIES: M.I.L.E.S. members have access to the MCC libraries on the Bedford and Lowell campuses, where you can borrow books, magazines, videos or take advantage of some quiet time online. Obtain an MCC Library card with your Student ID Card.
MILES is an Affiliate of the Elderhostel Institute Network