Submitted by James Sunderland
Early in April, 26 BHS students brought 11 history projects to the Massachusetts History Day competition at Winchester High School.
All Bedford projects impressed the judges with a few singled out for special recognition:
- Eran Zelixon’s project on the Terezin concentration camp earned 2nd place in the Individual Performance category qualifying him for the national competition in June
- Samantha Gallant & Bernice Lai’s project on the 1965 Watts Riot received honorable mention in the group documentary category
- Chloe Byun, Kristen Hekimian and Georgia Pitner’s website on Australian Aborigines also received honorable mention
- Sydney Hoiseth’s exhibit on the AIDS epidemic also received honorable mention
- Omar Al-Adhami, Matthew Carluccio, Nathaniel Kang, Ryan Lobo & Ryan Richard’s website on Ping-Pong Diplomacy won a special award for best project related to sports history.