Submitted by Peter Ricci
Recently, Pack 194 Cub Scouts held their annual Pinewood Derby. This event is known to many people – even non-scouts, because of its lengthy history. A mere mention of the term “Pinewood” brings a rush of memories to most families, as a brother, son, or father may have participated. Currently boys use a provided kit to build a car within rule specifications, but also use their own creativity.
The top speed winners in each age group compete against each other for the Pack Championship. Awards are given for speed, design, craftsmanship, and fan favorites. The boys that win at the pack level for speed progress to a district level race that includes 12 towns and Hanscom Air Force Base.
Receiving awards in speed were:
- Jake Bowman – Overall Pack winner for speed Wolf Scout
- Caleb Goldman- Webelos 2 Scout
- Eric Zhang Webelos 1 Scout
- Daniel Kenny – Bear Scout
- Anderson Marino – Tiger Scout
Design Awards were given to one scout in each age division and were judged by adults on overall presentation
- Tyler Munsie – Tiger Scout
- Alex Brough – Wolf Scout
- Thomas Barney – Bear Scout
- Cole Bennett – Webelos 1 Scout
- Quinn Ricci – Webelos 2 Scout
The Craftsman award recognizes the one scout in each age division that put extra effort into his project
- Boden Spirn – Tiger Scout
- Liam Green – Wolf Scout
- Renby Fernald – Bear Scout
- Liam Carson – Webelos 1 Scout
- Brian Vitale – Webelos 2 Scout
In addition, Special Judges awards were given out to several boys, recognizing unusual components or work effort. Miles Trant, Harrison Sachs, Ben Sedran, Tyler Card, and Jack Conley were presented with these certificates.