Volunteers Sought: Bedford Housing Authority and Capital Expenditure Committee

Submitted by Bedford’s Volunteer Coordinating Committee

VCC panelBedford residents who may be interested in serving on the Bedford Housing Authority (BHA) have only a few more days to make their interest known before interviews are conducted to make an interim appointment for the BHA vacancy.

In addition, there is a vacancy on one of the most important and active, appointed Town committees — the Capital Expenditure Committee.

On Monday, Nov. 18, the Selectmen and the remaining Housing Authority commissioners will meet in joint session to interview applicants for the BHA position.  So far two residents have applied.  Other interested residents should submit a Volunteer Questionnaire (available from the Town’s website, www.bedfordma.gov) to the Town Manager’s office and prepare for an interview that evening.

Once appointed, the term of the new BHA commissioner will end next year, when that position will appear on the Town election ballot in March.  The appointed member may choose to run for election at that time.

The Bedford Housing Authority is established by State law.  Five members serve on the BHA Board, with one appointed by the Governor and the remaining four elected for five-year terms at March Town elections.  The Authority has a paid Executive Director and other staff, and manages 80 units of elderly housing, 12 units of rental housing for veterans and families, and 22 vouchers for scattered site housing in apartment complexes around town.

The vacancy on the Capital Expenditure Committee (CapEx) will be filled by a different appointing group than the one filling the vacancy on the Housing Authority.  The Chairs of the Selectmen, School Committee and Finance Committee must cast a unanimous vote for the CapEx appointment.  The CapEx Committee prepares, and annually updates, a six-year plan for spending on town capital projects (i.e., those expected to last more than one year), which is used in financial planning by the Selectmen and Finance Committee.

In addition to the vacancies on the Bedford Housing Authority and Capital Expenditure Committee, other committees with current openings also are critical parts of Town government.  They include:  Arbor Resources, Depot Park Advisory, Energy Task Force, Historic District Commission, Land Acquisition, Trails, Transportation Advisory (a “bicycle” interest) and Zoning Board of Appeals.

There is no specific professional background or experience required to fill these positions; persons with varied areas of expertise and/or interest are encouraged to apply.

Registered voters interested in volunteering are encouraged to attend their committee meeting of choice by checking the Town’s website, www.bedfordma.gov for upcoming meetings or contacting the Town Manager’s office at 781-275-1111.  Volunteers must submit a Volunteer Questionnaire to the Town Manager’s Office; the questionnaire is available at Town Hall, online, or from any member of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee (VCC):  Carol Amick, Patty Carluccio or Joe Piantedosi.  A link on the Town’s VCC web page provides a direct email to VCC members.

Questions about any of the openings should be directed to the Town Manager’s Office or to the Volunteer Coordinating Committee Chair, Carol Amick, at 781-275-5278.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Keep our journalism strong! Support The Citizen Journalism Fund today. Contact The Bedford Citizen: [email protected] or 781-430-8837

Share your enthusiasm for this article!
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments